Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Ghost of Tom Joad Knocking at the Door: A Pilgrim's Journey into the CaliforniAmerican Heartland--31. Focus Is the Difference Between Seeing the World in a Grain of Sand and Just Quickly Swooshing Away a Speck of Dirt

Dry Creek Holding Pond, One Moment, 4.24.24, Steve Brown 

I knew when I started writing this book that I would not be able to keep up with the changes in the world.  The world moves much too fast these days.  None-the-less, I initially intended to weave glimpses of our current shared reality into the narrative by beginning each chapter with one moment somewhere around the world.  I had in mind something similar to the Newsreel chapters in the novel 1919 by Jon Dos Pasos.  I thought that by combining Marci's and my journey to Cannery Row and back, current news events, and some in between chapters recording my thought processes (like this one)along with an in-depth study of the philosophy of Ed Rickets and John Steinbeck, I might be able to arrive at some semblance of what it means to live in our times, which in so many ways mirror Steinbeck's times.  I felt then, and still feel now, that his writing is more relevant now than ever before.  

It was an intuitive structure, but one that I felt I could generally keep.  To some extent I have.  But something changed on Thursday, September 24, 2023.  As I sat at my desk and looked out on a single sunflower lit up in my garden by the last warm rays of the day, I became acutely aware that I have never been unhappy when I was fully in a moment.  In my teenage and college years I was dissatisfied most of the time but never when I was completely present.  All my unhappiness happened in my head.   In an instant, I realized one could choose to stay in the moment or one could not-choose, and in the process, unconsciously follow whatever train of thought and emotions rose in the mind, usually triggered by whatever circumstance presented itself at the time.   The journey is usually glorious until you have a flat tire.  

I also realized that I usually react defensively in response to living.   This occurs in two polar-opposite mental states--a place of fear and self-doubt or a place of judgment and self-aggrandization--but that both are equally defensive in protecting some sense of a stable I.  The self-doubt keeps me from believing I can change, and the self-aggrandization keeps me from believing I need to change.  It seemed to me that the mind left on its own will always goes to a place of defense except when one chooses to intentionally sit in a moment as an objective, transparent observer.

Of course, I hadn't discovered anything new.   Buddhist monks have known and written about this phenomenon for centuries.  Meditation is one means to get there.  And I'd spent years reading books by Buddhist authors, so it was something I knew about already intellectually, but at that moment, I realized not only had I lived that bliss many times before, but that with practice, I might learn to live some sort of joy always, even in moments of great fear and sorrow.  I'm still not sure I personally can accomplish my goal, but at that moment I knew in an instant happiness does not depend on circumstances.  It is a choice.  It is a choice between sitting fearlessly in the moment, whatever that moment is, and intentionally observing it for what it is, or it is not-choosing that, and by not consciously choosing that, letting your mind take over--which, with the ego in control, always goes to a place that pits you against reality where everything, absolutely everything, is about seeking protection and establishing a position of superiority.  It does not, and cannot, lead to happiness.  By trying to keep us safe from the tiger outside, the ego has become the tiger inside.   Unchecked by reality, it will eat a person from within and drive them to insanity without them knowing it.  

Since that moment of realization, the subject of this book has clearly become now, although the vehicle to explore it remains the works of John Steinbeck and Marci's and my journey to Cannery Row in 2022.   

And now it is time to stop writing this chapter and do the dishes.  They've been stacking up for three days because Friday and Saturday were days to work in the yard and yesterday was a day to go up north to be with family.

Now, the sky is turquoise above the juniper-jagged ridge outside my living room window, each tree seeming to lumber along the top, individually together like a line of enormous elephants.  I could sit here in this moment and watch the sky lighten but now is the time to wash dishes, and if I'm fully present, it too will be a moment of miracles because one cannot fully enter a moment and not have it count for something.  I'm absolutely positive of that.  All moments matter immensely, especially the mundane ones, because those are moments where we spend most of our lives.  If we live them grandly, fully satisfied with whatever task is at hand, we will never look back at our life and think what was it all for?   We will know because we spent each waking moment intimately having a dialogue with it.

To be or not to be is not so much a question as to live or die; rather it is more a question as to whether to be present or not, and that has far less to do with what you are doing at the moment and far more with how are going about doing it.

Focus is the difference between seeing the world in a grain of sand and just quickly swooshing away a speck of dirt, oblivious to the infinity contained in that moment.  That wildflower off to the side of the bottom step contains no heaven for neither the eye blinded by the mind resenting having to sweep the porch nor the mind nagging to get some sort of recognition for having done so.  Eternity exists only for those present in the moment.  Hell may simply be a state of being so consumed by the nagging of the ego that one is totally unaware God is standing next to you, patiently waiting for you to notice heaven is all around you if you will simply stop, breathe, and observe the intricacies of life abundantly accessible now and into the eternities.

No comments:

Post a Comment